Tuesday, September 22, 2009

MELAB Scoring Rubric

The other thing that I’ll say is that I recently read the scoring rubric for the MELAB. The scoring rubric is what teachers use to evaluate and score your essays. I looked at the criteria needed to achieve your score (I think it was 85), and the criteria needed to reach the next level (this is a score between 87 and 93). One big difference between these two levels is that there are no (or very few) errors in punctuation at the higher level. I suggest having a look at the last four essays that I’ve corrected—take note of the corrections I’ve made in the punctuation, especially with regard to the comma (,) and period(.). Pay attention to where they are used and the spacing before and after each. Maybe this will help you hit the upper 80s or low 90s on June 7th.

If you would like to receive comments like these on your TOEFL practice essays, you can sign up for a program here: http://www.cz-training.com/toefl/signup01.html

All essays are corrected by native speakers of English and are returned with personalized feedback on how you can improve your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment