Thursday, September 24, 2009

Difference between "forbid" and "prohibit" / "ban"

Forbid vs. Prohibit / Ban

If something is forbidden, it is usually something that I have been told (often orally) that I cannot do. Example:

I can’t play outside for a week. My mother forbid me. ( = My mother told me that I am not allowed to play outside.)

If something is prohibited or banned, it is usually something that is illegal or against the law. Example:

New York City banned hand guns in the city center. ( = It is now against the law to have a hand gun in the city center.)

Consequently, we cannot say this:

My mother banned me to bring friends home to play.

Correct is as follows:

My mother forbid me to bring friends home to play.

If you would like to receive comments like these on your TOEFL practice essays, you can sign up for a program here: http://www.cz-training.com/toefl/signup01.html

All essays are corrected by native speakers of English and are returned with personalized feedback on how you can improve your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment