Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How to Prepare for an Essay Exam

You’re not going to like my answer, but I’ll give it to you anyway. Here’s what you should do: absolutely nothing!

Unlike a math test or a history test, you can’t really prepare for an essay test. With a math test you can memorize formulas. With a history test you can memorize dates. Unfortunately, with an essay test you can’t memorize all of the English grammar. The most you can do is to learn proper essay structure, and in my opinion this is something that you already know. The best way to approach the exam is to relax, stay calm, and don’t panic. Make sure you’re well-rested before the exam, and always organize your thoughts before you begin writing.

I’ve corrected a lot of essays from students whose first language is not English. I can honestly say that your writing is far better than most. That’s the good news.

The bad news is that I’m very cynical by nature. If a school or university gives a student a test to determine whether or not they have to take a certain class, my guess is that nine times out of ten the student will have to take the class. After all, it means more money for the university. Maybe this is not the case in reality, but it’s something that I often wonder about in this cynical mind of mine!

In any case, I wish you the best of luck on the exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment