Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Can you rate my essay?

A lot of students ask me to rate their essays on the TOEFL scale. I am happy to do so, but I have to stress that I can’t guarantee that the score I give you will be the score you get on the TOEFL. While my scoring is based on a lot of experience, it is really just my “best guess” as to how you would do on the TOEFL. That said, on the TOEFL scale (0 to 5), I would put your last essay at about 2.0. In addition to the problems with the grammar, the essay body was not developed enough: there is not a second point to support your thesis--there was a paragraph that supported the direct opposite of your thesis instead. This made the essay development and writing sound illogical.

If you would like to receive comments like these on your TOEFL practice essays, you can sign up for a program here:   http://www.cz-training.com/toefl/signup01.html

All essays are corrected by native speakers of English and are returned with personalized feedback on how you can improve your writing.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment